Cruising is about freedom of choice. There are no less than hundreds of options when it comes to size, style and prices.
If you have never cruised before, you would be amazed at the convenience and value of traveling by ship.
Cruising offers the chance to try things you’ve never tried and do things you’ve never dreamed of doing. No matter what you are looking for – a chance to relax and do nothing, hike a glacier, swim with sea lions, you decide. We will find the perfect cruise itinerary to fulfill your desires.
Cruising is about exploring new places and old favorites, but it’s also about the food, service and convenience, about meeting new friends and renewing relationships. These are some of the reasons we love to cruise. Here are some of the ships we recommend – give us a call and we’ll tell you why.
On The Map Travel’s 10 Reasons to Cruise
At On The Map Travel, we love, love, love cruising. Many clients have hesitated booking a vacation on a floating city (or town) concerned they would be surrounded by the same people and eating in a limited number of the same restaurants every day for a week or more. But we have never had a guest return from a cruise and tell us they were sorry they had gone. Here are our top ten reasons we urge you to try cruising, at least once:
- Unpack Once –This may be our most compelling reason. When you spend a week or two onboard a cruise ship you get the benefit of visiting multiple destinations but you only have to unpack/pack once. Plus there is no driving, trains, busses, etc to get from each place to the next. Relax! Your hotel does the driving for you.
- Something for Everyone – You’ve heard it before: one man’s ceiling is another man’s floor. There is no ship that is necessarily right for everyone. Rock climbing walls and water slides are right for some families while couples may be looking for a relaxing, romantic getaway. Whatever your travel style, there’s a ship for you.
- Value – Cruises offer a lot of value for your dollar because fares include most (and sometimes all) you’ll need for your vacation: accommodations, meals, entertainment and transportation between destinations. While mainstream lines do charge for most beverages, gratuities for onboard staff and shore excursions, the more upscale lines (think Silversea, Seabourn and Crystal) are more inclusive, with alcohol and soft drinks, gratuities and sometimes even flights included in the fare. Regent even includes most shore excursions and sometimes a pre or post night in a hotel.
- Family Friendly – Just about every cruise line offers a kids program, especially during the summer and the winter holiday season. Adult only pools maintain the vacation vibe for parents while kid and teen clubs allow everyone to meet others their own age and engage in fun and age appropriate activities.
- Food! – The one thing every cruise line includes are your meals (sometimes 4- 5 per day!). Whether it’s lots of choices from the buffet, or a gourmet sit-down feast in a beautiful dining room, or room service served in courses in your cabin, you will never go hungry. The other plus: no bill at the end of the meal.
- Ease of Planning – You don’t have to make a lot of decision about where to start, how many days to stay in each destination, where you will enjoy your meals or how you will get from point A to point B. Much of the decision making involved in planning a trip, is taken off your hands. Just choose your itinerary, cabin category and then sit back and relax.
- Days at Sea – Personally, we love these relaxing days when there is nothing more to do than sleep in, sit on the deck (or your balcony) with a good book and a glass of wine, or meet friends at the pool. It’s the ultimate way to unwind.
- Romance – Yes we mentioned it briefly above, but being on the high seas with the one you love might be one of the most romantic travel experiences you will ever have. When was the last time the two of you want dancing after dinner? Or moved from the table to the bar for a nightcap? Or, sat in a lounge chair at night and witnessed the spectacle of a million stars? Trust us, cruising is a great way to celebrate each other.
- Make New Friends – While it’s entirely possible to keep to yourselves (see #8 above) its so easy to meet new people on board and make long lasting friendships. We know – we’ve done it.
- Indulge – Pretty much all ships these days have a spa where you can get treatments, have a mani-pedi or get your hair done. Fitness centers are also available for those who want to work off last night’s dinner, or this afternoon’s ice cream social.