Custom Private Travel
Your dreams, your desires, your dates.
The world is waiting for you – but in this time of hectic schedules and thousands of pages of Internet information – it’s often daunting to plan a trip. On The Map Travel takes your travel dreams and turns them into reality. We can create a personal itinerary that takes you to all the places you know you want to see – and fantastic hidden jewels you might not have heard of. We take your personal point of view and translate that to extraordinary travel experiences.
We specialize in creating bespoke travel itineraries, recommending and booking restaurants, arranging private experiences and helping with the things that you don't have the time, inclination or expertise to do yourself. Our clients have access to a wealth of exclusive benefits including free upgrades, early check in/late checkout and complimentary breakfast at a wide range of top hotels worldwide.
Whether it’s a daylong private tour of Florence or a leisurely few weeks exploring the Moroccan countryside, we’ll plan your ideal trip. We know the perfect places to visit, the unusual sights to see, the extraordinary activities available. We take care of all the details of travel, leaving you to simply enjoy the trip.
For those who love adventure we include experiences that allow our clients to challenge themselves while discovering the world around them. Travelers become explorers as they experience destinations from new perspectives - on a river, from a mountaintop or along a hiking trail.
On The Map Travel has arranged custom private trips to:
British Virgin Islands
St. Kitts & Nevis
Turks & Caicos
US Virgin Islands
USA (all destinations)
Our partners on the ground in each of these countries provide extraordinary service and attention to detail – plus they are amazingly charming hosts who love to share their countries and cultures with you.
We utilize all types of accommodations according to your preferences – castles, charming country inns, villas, historical homes, city hideaways and the world’s finest luxury hotels.
Our personalized adventures and activities are nothing less than extraordinary. A few eye-opening experiences we’ve arranged include:
Surfing lessons in Morocco
Working with a winemaker to blend your own wine in Tuscany
A visit to Coco Chanel’s Paris apartment - closed to the public
A sunrise reading of the poetry of Pablo Neruda at Machu Picchu
Touring the Churchill War Rooms with a retired British Army Major
Visiting Peru’s “locals only” Peña music clubs
A private gelato-making lesson in Florence’s most famous shop
Golfing St. Andrew’s Old Course with a PGA professional
Visiting with Morocco’s premier artisinal honey producer
Witnessing the after hours Keys Ceremony as the Tower of London is locked up for the night
Learning about rose farming at an Ecuadorian rose plantation
Afternoon tea on a cliff top in Ireland
Helping with a recycling program in the Galápagos Islands
A “back door” entrance to the Vatican (skip the line!)
A tasting of Hungarian wines while watching the sunset in Budapest
A rooftop cocktail party overlooking Beijing’s Forbidden City
Music lessons on ancient Inca instruments
Scottish jig lessons (complete with kilts)
A camel safari in India
Of course, there are hundreds of “must see” spots around the globe, and we include those, too. But whenever possible we add an “off the map” destination, an activity with a personal twist or a surprise special extra.
Our trips can include airfare, hotels, transfers, sightseeing, meals and special excursions, events & experiences. We include any local fees, entrances and taxes for your sightseeing excursions whenever possible.
Prices for our custom private travel experiences are based on the length of the trip; the number of travelers; what tours and activities are included; the accommodations selected; and the special events, meals and extra services that are included. There is a trip planning fee (see the “How We Work” section of this website). The difference in our trips is not found in the simple economics of the journey but in the richness and quality of our travelers’ experiences.
Family & Multi-Generational Travel
Our Family Adventures are the trips you’d plan for your family — if you had the time, inside information and personal contacts. These trips are wonderful opportunities to spend true quality time together – without the worry of where to go, what to do, and how to get there. They’re all “kid tested” and provide a great balance of exciting history, hands-on activities, nature, active diversions and just plain fun. Our family programs provide enhanced educational opportunities during school holidays and offer families a way to spend time together that combines meaningful activities and leisure time for both parents and students.
Special Interest Group Adventures
We specialize in customized experiences for groups of close friends or family members, members of book groups, theater lovers’ groups, wine clubs, sports fans, women’s groups, investment clubs, professional associates (with continuing education credits), high school expeditions — you name it.
We would be happy to create an itinerary that is tailored to your group’s interests, budget, time and available dates.
Our contacts around the world can arrange for your group to have access to sites not available to the general public and our Select Journeys often include guest lectures, unusual themed activities and special extras that tie in with your group’s interests.
Please contact us so we can design a tour specifically for your group.
On The Map Travel’s World Service trips give individual or group travelers a way to make a meaningful contribution to other cultures and countries by working side-by-side with local people and sharing in the goals of their community. On our World Service trips, travelers have the opportunity to live in the heart of a community and become a part of its daily life.
– Groups work on local service projects in fascinating parts of the world, really get to know the local people of a country and still have free time for personal adventures.
– Each trip includes time every morning to work on a community service project; afternoons and evenings are spent enjoying cultural programming – classes, lectures, excursions and sightseeing.
– All our World Service trips are crafted to insure that there are components of work, recreation and relaxation so travelers feel as if they’ve had both quality time and a vacation, enabling them to return to their lives and work rested, refreshed and excited about the world around them.
Cruising is about freedom of choice. There are hundreds of options when it comes to size, style and prices.
If you have never cruised before, you would be amazed at the convenience and value of traveling by ship.
Cruising offers the chance to try things you’ve never done and do things you’ve never dreamed of doing. No matter what you are looking for – a chance to relax and do nothing, hike a glacier, swim with sea lions, you decide. We will find the perfect cruise itinerary to fulfill your desires.
Cruising is about exploring new places and old favorites, but it’s also about the food, service and convenience, about meeting new friends and renewing relationships. These are some of the reasons we love to cruise. Here are some of the cruise lines we recommend and that our clients loved – give us a call and we’ll tell you why.
Ocean Ships and Luxury Cruises
Azamara Club Cruises
Crystal Cruise Lines
Cunard Cruise Lines
Holland America Line
Regent Seven Seas Cruises
Disney Cruise Lines
Crystal River Cruises
Viking River Cruises
Avalon River Cruises
Uniworld Boutique River Cruises
Scenic Luxury Cruises
American Cruise Lines
American Queen Steamboat Company
Galapagos Islands Ships
M/V Galapagos Explorer II
M/Y La Pinta
M/Y Santa Cruz II
M/Y Isabella II
On The Map Travel’s 10 Reasons to Cruise
At On The Map Travel, we love, love, love cruising. Many clients have hesitated to book a vacation on a floating city (or town) concerned they would be surrounded by the same people and eating in a limited number of the same restaurants every day for a week. But we have never had a guest return from a cruise and tell us they were sorry they had gone. Here are our top ten reasons we urge you to try cruising, at least once:
- Unpack Once –This may be our most compelling reason. When you spend a week or two onboard a cruise ship you get the benefit of visiting multiple destinations, but you only have to unpack once. Plus, there is no driving, trains, busses, etc. to get from each place to the next. Relax! Your hotel does the driving for you.
- Something for Everyone – You’ve heard it before: one man’s ceiling is another man’s floor. There is no ship that is necessarily right for everyone. Rock climbing walls and water slides are right for some families while couples may be looking for a relaxing, romantic getaway. Whatever your travel style, there’s a ship for you.
- Value – Cruises offer a lot of value for your dollar because fares include most (and sometimes all) you’ll need for your vacation: accommodations, meals, entertainment and transportation between destinations. While mainstream lines do charge for most beverages, gratuities for onboard staff and shore excursions, the more upscale lines (think Silversea, Seabourn and Crystal) are more inclusive, with alcohol and soft drinks, gratuities and sometimes even flights included in the fare. Regent even includes most shore excursions and sometimes a pre or post night in a hotel.
- Family Friendly – Just about every cruise line offers a kids program, especially during the summer and the winter holiday season. Adult only pools maintain the vacation vibe for parents while kid and teen clubs allow everyone to meet others their own age and engage in fun and age appropriate activities.
- Food! – The one thing every cruise line includes are your meals (sometimes 4 to 5 per day!). Whether it’s lots of choices from the buffet, or a gourmet sit-down feast in a beautiful dining room, or room service served in courses in your cabin, you will never go hungry. The other plus: no bill at the end of the meal.
- Ease of Planning – You don’t have to make a lot of decision about where to start, how many days to stay in each destination, where you will enjoy your meals or how you will get from point A to point B. Much of the decision making involved in planning a trip, is taken off your hands. Just choose your itinerary, cabin category and then sit back and relax.
- Days at Sea – Personally, we love these relaxing days when there is nothing more to do than sleep in, sit on the deck (or your balcony) with a good book and a glass of wine, or meet friends at the pool. It’s the ultimate way to unwind.
- Romance – Yes, we mentioned it briefly above, but being on the high seas with the one you love might be one of the most romantic travel experiences you will ever have. When was the last time the two of you want dancing after dinner? Or moved from the table to the bar for a nightcap? Or, sat in a lounge chair at night and witnessed the spectacle of a million stars? Trust us, cruising is a great way to celebrate each other.
- Make New Friends – While it’s entirely possible to keep to yourselves (see #8 above) it’s so easy to meet new people on board and make long lasting friendships. We know – we’ve done it.
- Indulge – Pretty much all ships these days have a spa where you can get treatments, have a mani-pedi or get your hair done. Fitness centers are also available for those who want to work off last night’s dinner, or the afternoon’s ice cream social.